San Diego, CA – January 31, 2017 – Today at DistribuTECH, the utility industry’s leading smart energy conference and exhibition, Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) showcased utilities and grid device partners that are leveraging its platform to yield powerful Grid Management advances for grid reliability, restoration acceleration, efficiency, and asset optimization. Silver Spring works with some of the world’s leading utility companies such as Baltimore Gas and Electric, ComEd, CPFL Energia, CPS Energy, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL), Pacific Gas & Electric, Pepco Holdings Inc., and Sacramento Municipal Utility District to leverage real-time grid information to advance Distribution Automation (DA) programs. Silver Spring’s standards-based IPv6 IoT platform also provides integrated communication for the most diverse portfolio of grid-edge devices including continuously-powered, battery-powered, and power harvesting solutions from partners such as Incon, Sentient Energy, V2Com, and Varentec.
“With more demands being placed upon utilities to integrate distributed generation, continually improve reliability to the grid, and provide timely energy consumption information to consumers, the industry is looking to proven platforms to provide more intelligent control and monitoring of the entire grid,” said Matt Smith, Senior Director, Grid Management, Silver Spring Networks. “Silver Spring’s advanced communications and data platform has been designed from the beginning to provide the bandwidth, security and geographic coverage to support benefits that extend beyond advanced metering. Some of the company’s top AMI customers are leading the charge by leveraging the same IoT multi-application network that is securely and reliability connecting millions of homes and businesses to now modernize their entire distribution system.”
Leading Utilities Unlock Value From Silver Spring Networks’ Grid Management Solutions
By taking advantage of Silver Spring’s multi-application platform, energy customers on five continents are achieving benefits for grid management and DA programs. Recent examples include:
- BGE: Leveraging its existing Silver Spring IPv6 platform for advanced metering to connect approximately 3,000 automated reclosers and 4,800 capacitor controls that will improve reliability, reduce interruptions, and conserve energy across its entire service area.
- ComEd: Approximately 9,500 DA devices deployed on Silver Spring’s IPv6 network have helped improve performance and assist with automated restoration and remote control. As a result of this DA program, there were over 6.2 million avoided customer interruptions from January 2012 through December 2016.
- CPFL Energia: Believed to be one of the world’s largest geographic DA deployments across 100,000 square kms, Silver Spring IPv6 platform will connect over 3,700 reclosers for better reliability across Brazil’s Sao Paulo state.
- FPL: During Hurricane Matthew in October 2016, the third largest utility in the U.S. leveraged Silver Spring’s advanced metering and distribution automation solutions to pinpoint outages and deliver information directly to crews in the field, helping get the lights back on faster for customers affected by the storm. FPL restored more than 1 million customer interruptions less than 48 hours after the storm exited its service territory. Smart grid technology, including automated switches and line sensors on FPL’s system, also prevented approximately 118,000 service interruptions during Hurricane Matthew, and an estimated 25,000 interruptions during Hurricane Hermine in September 2016.
Device Vendors Embed Silver Spring Networks’ Technology to Provide Robust Grid-Edge Solutions
IoT platforms for the utility and energy industry demand the innovations and interoperability of many companies. With over 125 partners globally, including leading DA device and software vendors, the Silver Spring ecosystem delivers comprehensive solutions for smart energy customers.
“As the IoT extends to include every part of the energy industry, our standards-based platform offers one of the industry’s broadest selection of devices and applications to help our customers reduce operating expenses, deliver proven innovation and demonstrate operational improvement on both sunny and stormy days,” continued Smith.
With today’s announcement, integrated solutions that will feature proven Silver Spring technology include:
- Incon TransformerIQ: Provides real-time, continuous intelligence for vault, padmount, or poletop distribution transformers.
- Sentient Master Monitor 3 (MM3™1): Intelligent line monitor used by leading Silver Spring customers as their platform for a diverse set of SAIDI, SAIFI and DERMS applications deployed across the grid.
- Sentient ZeroAmp Monitor 1 (ZM1™1): Intelligent Line Monitor for low or no amperage grid locations, providing fault information and oscillography, load logs, and disturbance statistics.
- V2Com GT650: Distributed embedded compute module for DA and automated measurement management.
- Varentec ENGO: Dynamic volt-ampere reactive (VAR) source deployed on the supply-side of distribution grid designed to autonomously regulate VARs to control voltage at the grid edge.
With speeds up to 2.4 Mbps, the backwards compatible, fifth generation of Silver Spring Networks’ IPv6 platform – Gen5™ and Gen5-based products – enables a broad range of device integrations. The Bridge 5 is optimized for performance-intensive applications that demand higher capacity, lower latency, and longer range. The self-meshing, postage stamp-size Milli 5™ Communications Module can connect battery-powered and energy harvesting sensor devices for emerging smart energy, smart city, and other IoT applications where line power is unavailable.
To learn more, please visit Silver Spring at DistribuTECH 2017 – Booth # 2831 – from January 31 – February 2 in San Diego, Calif. For additional information on Silver Spring’s DA solutions, please visit www.silverspringnet.com/solutions/da-devices/.
- MM3 and ZM1 are registered trademarks of Sentient Energy.
Join the Silver Spring Networks Conversation
- Read more on the Silver Spring Connect blog at
- Follow @SilverSpringNet on Twitter
- Like Silver Spring Networks on Facebook at www.facebook.com/silverspringnetworks
About Silver Spring Networks
Silver Spring Networks enables the Internet of Important Things™ by reliably and securely connecting things that matter. Cities, utilities, and companies on five continents use the company’s cost-effective, high-performance IoT network and data platform to operate more efficiently, get greener, and enable innovative services that can improve the lives of millions of people. With more than 24.9 million devices delivered, Silver Spring provides a proven standards-based platform safeguarded with military grade security. Silver Spring Networks’ customers include Baltimore Gas & Electric, CitiPower & Powercor, ComEd, Consolidated Edison, CPS Energy, Florida Power & Light, Pacific Gas & Electric, Pepco Holdings, and Singapore Power. Silver Spring has also deployed networks in Smart Cities including Copenhagen, Glasgow, Paris, Providence, and Stockholm. To learn more, visit www.ssni.com.
Silver Spring Networks
# # # #
This press release contains forward-looking statements about Silver Spring Networks’ expectations, plans, intentions, and strategies, including, but not limited to statements regarding the benefits of Silver Spring Networks’ networking platform and solutions integrated with Silver Spring Networks’ technology, as well as the performance and capabilities Silver Spring Networks’ Gen5 networking platform and Gen5-based products. Statements including words such as “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect” or “future” and statements in the future tense are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, as well as assumptions, which, if they do not fully materialize or prove incorrect, could cause our results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties include those described in Silver Spring Networks’ documents filed with or furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Silver Spring Networks as of the date hereof. Silver Spring Networks assumes no obligation to update these forward looking statements.