Santa Clara, CA – May 16, 2017 – Today at Internet of Things (IoT) World 2017, the world’s largest IoT event, Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) announced the extension of its developer program with the introduction of a new developer portal, developer kits and a simulation tool for application development. Silver Spring aims to accelerate innovation for the Internet of Important Things™ by streamlining the development process and expanding the number of solution partners with access to Silver Spring’s proven platform. Support for the Arduino developer environment, the simplification of software tools, and the new developer portal will broaden the potential devices and applications that can integrate Silver Spring’s IoT technology into solutions for utilities, cities and industrial companies.
The Developer Program is open to new and existing customers and developers who are building the next generation of sensors, actuators, devices and applications within the smart utility, smart city and industrial IoT sectors. Participants of the Silver Spring Developer Program can create and test new IoT solutions that can be delivered through the Starfish™ platform-as-a-service (PaaS), which is based on Silver Spring’s proven, secure, reliable and standards-based wireless network and data platform. To register for the Developer Program, visit developer.ssni.com.
“Our primary goal with the Developer Program is to provide partners with the open, scalable, and flexible tools and technologies needed to develop the game-changing solutions of tomorrow. As a standards-based technology company, we support and encourage collaboration to help the industry continue to make innovative IoT applications a reality,” said John Marcolini, GM and VP of Product Management, Silver Spring Networks. “Starfish enables partners to focus on their value-added application, by providing open access to a robust IoT network and data platform. For current customers, the Developer Program will help fast-track the creation of innovative connectivity solutions that can improve the lives of millions of people.”
Developer Program to Enable Efficient and Rapid Creation of Next-Gen Industrial IoT Devices
Today’s announcement includes the:
- Developer Portal – enables developers to create IoT solutions using Silver Spring technology. The Developer Portal connects developers with the Silver Spring engineering community, supporting materials, and step-by-step documentation for the usage of the developer kits.
- Milli Shield Dev Kit for Arduino boards (US$99.95/AU$134.95) – provides development partners with Silver Spring’s RF mesh IPv6 technology in a form factor designed for battery-operated devices.
- IoT Edge Router™, Dev Edition (US$249.95/AU$334.95) – connects any sensor to Silver Spring’s IPv6 Starfish platform via standard Ethernet or USB interface on Silver Spring’s IoT Edge Router. The IoT Edge Router includes the ability to develop edge applications on the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution using SNAPS.
- Starfish Studio – is an interactive simulation tool available through the Developer Portal for modeling IoT devices and solutions and enabling easy application development.
The Milli Shield Dev Kit and the IoT Edge Router, Dev Edition are available today in the U.S. and Australia, and is expected to be available in the UK and Europe in the third quarter of 2017, through the Developer Portal. Silver Spring intends to announce availability in additional markets in 2017 and beyond. Starfish Studio will be available in late 2017.
For images of Silver Spring’s new developer kits, visit the Silver Spring Media Resources page www.ssni.com/resources/media/.
See the Silver Spring Developer Program in Action at Internet of Things World
To learn more about today’s announcement, visit Silver Spring’s Booth # 418 at Internet of Things World May 16–18 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. In addition, Silver Spring will have copies of its “Know Your IoT Rights” white paper on hand. The paper, launched today, aims to inform what technology requirements can help developers and architects secure enforceable and sustainable network architecture, equipment, services, and performance specifications, delivered by their network providers.
Silver Spring will also present in four sessions during Internet of Things World 2017:
- Mike Bell, President and CEO – Open IoT Networks: What Kind of Network Do You Want to Build? (keynote); Wednesday, May 17 @ 9:50 am PT (more info here).
- Don Reeves, CTO – The New Age of Industrial IoT (keynote panel); Tuesday, May 16 @ 1:40 pm PT (more info here).
- Sean Tippett, Director of Smart City Business Development – Creating Smarter Cities: Future Trends (panel discussion); Wednesday, May 17 @ 12:00 pm PT (more info here).
- John Marcolini, GM and VP of Product Management – Industrial IoT Applications: How Developers Can Go-To-Market Using Proven Connectivity Platforms (IoT Architecture Symposium session); Wednesday, May 17 @ 2:20 pm PT (more info here).
Join the Silver Spring Networks Conversation
- Read more on the Silver Spring Connect blog at
- Follow @SilverSpringNet on Twitter
- Like Silver Spring Networks on Facebook at www.facebook.com/silverspringnetworks
- Learn more about the Wi-Sun Alliance and the value of open standards-based IoT networking at www.wi-sun.org
About Silver Spring Networks
Silver Spring Networks enables the Internet of Important Things™ by reliably and securely connecting things that matter. Cities, utilities, and companies on five continents use the company’s cost-effective, high-performance IoT network and data platform to operate more efficiently, get greener, and enable innovative services that can improve the lives of millions of people. With more than 26.0 million devices delivered, Silver Spring provides a proven standards-based platform safeguarded with military grade security. Silver Spring Networks’ customers include Baltimore Gas & Electric, CitiPower & Powercor, ComEd, Consolidated Edison, CPS Energy, Florida Power & Light, Pacific Gas & Electric, Pepco Holdings, and Singapore Power. Silver Spring has also deployed networks in Smart Cities including Copenhagen, Glasgow, Paris, Providence, and Stockholm. To learn more, visit www.ssni.com.
Silver Spring Networks
This press release contains forward-looking statements about Silver Spring Networks’ expectations, plans, intentions, and strategies, including, but not limited to statements regarding Silver Spring’s Developer Program. Statements including words such as “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect” or “future” and statements in the future tense are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, as well as assumptions, which, if they do not fully materialize or prove incorrect, could cause our results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties include those described in Silver Spring Networks’ documents filed with or furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Silver Spring Networks as of the date hereof. Silver Spring Networks assumes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements.